Saturday, November 25, 2006

Bill Brau - The Beginning

One day, while sitting with my brother at our parents' place in Southwold, home of the world famous Adnams Brewery, we got on to the topic of starting our own brewery, abandoning our current jobs and settling in to a life of alcohol induced luxury. Well, this never quite happened but following from this conversation I started home brewing beer. My brother and I both live in Munich which is a lovely city full of Germans who are generally lovely people but convinced they know how to brew beer. They're welcome to that opinion and, let's face it, they do love their beer, but if they all discovered Adnams at once the little brewery wouldn't be able to keep up with demand and would go all commercial and probably start to produce flavourless fizzy crap like in Munich. Did I just say that?

Anyway, back to the point. I started home brewing because I love English Ale and it's just not available in my adopted home town. It then turned out that brewing is a nice combination between science and fun, between planning practical requirements and simply 'doing it', requiring some equipment and offering the opportunity to create bits of equipment and in the end you end up with beer. Perfect. Friends have tried Bill's braus and have all approved, one even also started brewing beer as if to prove the theory that it can be addictive.

Bill Brau has now produced six beers, imaginatively titled Number I to Number VI, and now I'm planning Number VII. This blog starts as my girlfriend is playing the 'Crazy Frog' she found on the internet, the church next door is bonging the bells fit to bust and I'm worried about yeast that appears not to be alive and how to recharge the CO2 in my pressure barrel downstairs. What joy.

No comments: